Wednesday 22 February 2017

The challenges you should know in producing an animated series these days by David Kwok


(The following is written based on my own experience. It is meant to give independent producers a clear view of the current market situation. The following does not apply to big studios who has deep pockets or with strong commercial channels)

I have attended a Children TV Trade Show in the U.S. recently. At the event, I have met a couple of independent producers. When they presented their IP to me, I am quite surprised that they are still trapped in the old system; expecting the TV licensing fee alone to cover the production cost. (Covering production cost is hard these days. Not to even mention profit. Even DVD market is dead.) One really needs a licensing/merchandising strategy. It is no longer an option. It is really hard to create an animated TV series or IP just to tell story without a commercial strategy in mind. I know it sounds horrible in a creative stand point. It is really not easy to raise funds these days.

To read more about this article, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment